The legislation calls for automatically expunging low-level cannabis convictions and for creating a Cannabis Expungement Board, which will review felonies for expungement or resentencing. Expungement seals a person’s conviction record, making the record not publicly accessible from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Sealing records is intended to remove barriers for people with cannabis-related offenses who are subject to a background check for a job or housing.
Learn more at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
The Cannabis Expungement Board will consist of the following members:
- the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a designee
- the Attorney General or a designee
- one public defender, appointed by the Governor upon recommendation of the State Public Defender
- the Commissioner of Corrections or a designee
- one public member with relevant experience, appointed by the Governor